Engraving of Shipton Court West Oxfordshire Circa 1826

£125
available
Make an enquiry

Engraving of Shipton Court, Shipton-under-Wychwood, West Oxfordshire circa 1826 - Framed

view more by this dealer

Dimensions:

W-48 H-39 (cm)

Item Reference:

58668-864-2Tip! This item's Ref-Code breaks down thus...
Item Ref Code: 58668-864-2
Item No. 58668 - Dealer No. 864 - Building No. 2

Description

Engraving of Shipton Court, West Oxfordshire circa 1826 - Framed
This is a hand coloured topographical picture of Shipton Court, Shipton-under-Wychwood, West Oxfordshire.
The picture is titled "Shipton Court, the Seat of Sir John Reade, Bart" and also inscribed "Chadlington Hundred Pl 2".
It was “Drawn by F Mackenzie & J Willis", who were illustrating the principal antiquities of Oxfordshire in 1823. The engraving was "Published as the Act directs July 1st 1826, by J Skelton Magdalen Bridge, Oxford" and "Engraved by J Fittler ARA and J Skelton".
Shipton Court is still a private residence (although now split into apartments) and is one of the largest Jacobean houses in the country. It was built c1603 by the Lacey family, and was occupied by them until 1663 when it was purchased by Sir Compton Reade. It remained in this family until 1868 when, on the death of Sir John Reade, it was left to his footman Joseph Wakefield, on condition he took the name Reade.
The estate was purchased from Joseph Reade by W F Pepper in 1900. Pepper carried out large-scale restorations and alterations including the addition of a billiard room and Winter Garden, using the architects Perkins and Bulmer. The main framework of the present gardens appears to have been in existence by 1900, but from the early photographs it is clear that there were several phases in the formalisation of the existing grounds.

The estate was sold in 1913 and sold on in 1919 to Mr Graeme Thomson who was responsible for some further work in the grounds in the early 1920s. Graeme sold on in 1934 and over the next thirteen years there were a variety of owners, the most notable being Captain Walter d'Arcy Hall.
During the Second World War the house was occupied by the army, and in 1947 the estate was split and sold by auction. The Dower House in the south-east corner of the site formed one lot, and the field to the east of Trot's Brook another. The house and grounds were bought by Mrs Arathoon in 1948 and remained in the family until 1977 when the house was divided into apartments.

Dimensions of the framed engraving are:
48 cm (width) x 39 cm (height)

Specifications

Item Reference
58668-864-2
Dimensions
Height: 39 cm
Width: 48 cm
Era
Regency
Period
1812 - 1830, C19th (Regency)
Country of Origin
England
Condition
The engraving is in reasonable condition for its age and, although not the original frame, it has been framed appropriately. There is some foxing but the colours remain clear and un-faded.

Delivery

  • Free Collection from Hemswell, North Lincolnshire (we can store free of charge for four weeks)
  • UK Post for £15, this applies to smaller items that we can box up and simply post to you.
  • UK Courier for £30, this applies to larger items that can be boxed up and collected by a standard courier delivery company.
  • UK Van Delivery by Hand, this applies to furniture, large items or delicate items. This is undertaken by ourselves or by a fully insured van delivery company that is personally known to us. Prices dependant on your location and size/amount of items purchased.

We are able to deliver any item to anywhere in the World, and so for any item/location, we are able to obtain quotes for delivery/shipping.

To make an enquiry call us on 01427 668 389