Great Malvern From above Foley Terrace - Framed Lithograph

£125
available
Make an enquiry

Coloured lithograph dating from the mid 1800s, titled “Great Malvern, From above Foley Terrace” - Framed.

view more by this dealer

Dimensions:

W-48 H-38 (cm)

Item Reference:

59022-864-2Tip! This item's Ref-Code breaks down thus...
Item Ref Code: 59022-864-2
Item No. 59022 - Dealer No. 864 - Building No. 2

Description

Coloured Lithograph, “Great Malvern, From above Foley Terrace” - Framed

This coloured lithograph dates from the mid 1800s, and is titled “Great Malvern, From above Foley Terrace”.

The Foley family were Lords of the manor for parts of Herefordshire, including Great Malvern. Edward Thomas Foley (21 Dec 1791 - 30 Mar 1846) whose family home was at Stoke Edith, Herefordshire, was a politician who was Member of Parliament for Ludgershall (1826 -1832) and Herefordshire (1832 - 1841). He was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford and appointed High Sheriff of Herefordshire (1815 - 1816). The Foley Arms was a coaching inn, built in 1810.

When Lady Foley, widow of Edward Thomas Foley, sold off parts of her estate in the 1800s, she stipulated that all plots around the town centre should be planted with trees and to this day there are many specimens of mature trees in Great Malvern.

This picture of “Great Malvern, From above Foley Terrace” was lithographed by “Newman & Co, 48 Watling Street, London". John Newman and Co, engravers and print publishers, were based at 48 Watling Street, London, between 1848 and 1874. Between 1876 and 1880 they were at 69 or 49 Southwalk Bridge Road, London.

Publication of the lithograph was by, "H Lamb & Son, Royal Library, Malvern". Henry Lamb, was a bookseller and lending-library proprietor, based at the Royal Library in Malvern.

The Library House was built in Malvern c1818, as a library and social centre which included a reading room, music room, bazaar and billiard room. Decades before the Water Cure boom of the 1840s, and Malvern becoming well known as a Spa town, the Library House had already been built for the benefit of visitors to the town. The building became known as the Royal Library and was renamed after a visit by Princess Victoria in 1830.

The existence of this one building was so significant that it could well have determined whether it was Great Malvern rather than Malvern Wells that blossomed into a town at the time when people were beginning to travel to Malvern to "take the waters".

Dimensions:

48 cm x 38 cm

Specifications

Item Reference
59022-864-2
Dimensions
Height: 38 cm
Width: 48 cm
Era
Victorian
Period
1837 - 1901, C19th (Victorian)
Country of Origin
England
Condition
Good condition for its age

Delivery

  • Free Collection from Hemswell, North Lincolnshire (we can store free of charge for four weeks)
  • UK Post for £15, this applies to smaller items that we can box up and simply post to you.
  • UK Courier for £30, this applies to larger items that can be boxed up and collected by a standard courier delivery company.
  • UK Van Delivery by Hand, this applies to furniture, large items or delicate items. This is undertaken by ourselves or by a fully insured van delivery company that is personally known to us. Prices dependant on your location and size/amount of items purchased.

We are able to deliver any item to anywhere in the World, and so for any item/location, we are able to obtain quotes for delivery/shipping.

To make an enquiry call us on 01427 668 389